In partnership with Bouygues Telecom, Axione was appointed to design and install the infrastructure for providing overall 2G, 3G and 4G mobile network coverage for line 2 of the Nice tram system on behalf of Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur, a public body for intermunicipal cooperation.
Initiated in March 2019, the works are part of a project to extend line 2 of the Nice tram system that links the city from east to west. A 3km tunnel effectively serves the city centre while at the same time preserving its architectural heritage.
Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur wanted partners capable of delivering high-performance multi-carrier telecoms infrastructure. The works were carried out in two phases, with the inauguration of the first section of the line taking place on 28 June 2019. Line 2 was inaugurated in its final form on 14 December 2019. As the client’s engineer, we had to monitor the works in coordination avec various trades.
Design of indoor engineering
- Completion of concept studies and engineering to provide coverage in a 3km tunnel
- Fit-out of a plant room off-centred from the tunnel housing the equipment for France’s four carriers (Orange, Bouygues Telecom, SFR and Free Mobile)
- Installation of radio signal distribution system, including 50 antennas
- Installation of fourteen 4G radio zones, including 4 underground stations
- Commissioning took place on completion of conclusive operating tests
Axione’s added value
- Provides a neutral interface
- Undertakes works with complex sequencing
- Carries out night work
- Operates simultaneously with other trades on site
- Delivers projects on time and in line with required quality standards
A better connected and more efficient city
– A reliable network that delivers increased connectivity for the region
– Multi-carrier indoor coverage that complies with carrier requirements
– Access to 2G, 3G and 4G networks throughout users’ journeys, providing greater convenience
– Emergency services and tunnel operators can use the network to communicate with the outside world if needed
Our other stories